Latest posts by Ben Lund (see all)
- How Much Does it Cost to Advertise on YouTube - January 3, 2020
- Google Partners – What are they and how to take Advantage - December 29, 2019
- AdWords Express vs. Google Ads - December 28, 2019
Google Customer Match
Do you have an email list of customers, prospects, lapsed customers? If you said no, start building one ASAP. No joke, if you have a business, you should ask for email addresses and start tracking this, no questions asked. If you said yes, we’re in business! Let’s leverage this to advertise to your most valuable audiences via Google Customer Match.
What’s Google Customer Match?
Check out this Customer Match article. It’s a very powerful and easy to use tool which allows advertisers to upload email addresses of their customers, lapsed customers, leads, friends, etc. into AdWords. It’s extremely safe, you upload and AdWords will automatically encrypt the data, match it to Google users, then purge your email list (i.e. protecting your valuable data).
Once the match takes place, then you’re in business! You can advertise to your most valuable audiences in three different ways.
YouTube – You can advertise your small business to your audiences via YouTube video ads. What a great way to build loyalty to these audiences through sight, sound and motion.
Gmail ads – these are ads that appear at the top of a users inbox (within the promotions or social tabs). Upon click it opens up to a nice big canvas for users to see the offer and click to the website.
Search text ads – Good ol’ fashion search text ads, which you only reach users who are uploaded in the email list (i.e. customer match list).
This is a fantastic way to hone in your marketing to your most valuable audiences. The best part about it, you’re not just reaching them with the same old email marketing campaign you’re sending out every few weeks. You’re reaching these audiences in a whole new way through video, display and text ads. The best part about Customer Match is this performs really really really well.
Now for the fine pint:
– The larger your email lists, the better. You can start advertising with lists as little as 1k deep, but the more emails you have, the better!
– I’m likely getting a bit ahead of myself, but whatever, I can write whatever I want in my blog :). Once you upload your email lists, Google will automatically create a look-a-like audience from these Customer Match lists. What does that mean? It means that Google will automatically find users who are not in the list uploaded, but have very similar online behavior (i.e. they view the same pages, click the same ads, etc). This is an amazing way to find even more customers by targeting these folks.
This is a high performing marketing tactic and getting back to my original point. This is one of the MANY reasons why you should start collecting email lists. How do you collect email lists, it could be one of many ways, including (but not limited to).
– If you have a physical location, just ask your customers!
-If your business has a website with checkout functionality include email as a mandatory item for checkout.
-If you don’t have a checkout, there are great WordPress tools which will have a pop-up appear (tastefully) on your site to collect emails. For example, you can ask for their email so they are in the know the next time you run a promotion or post a blog.
Now friends, I leave this up to you. Go and upload those email addresses and drive even more revenue from these users.
For those who need help creating their Google Ads account, check out my blog post on how to create a Google Ads account.